For la mer, responsible fisheries:
- Do not harm the species’ ability to reproduce or its environment;
- Include reliable traceability information; and
- Are socially responsible, with good conditions for fishermen and their communities.
La Mer works with Quebec’s “Fourchette Bleue” certification and sells sustainable products certified by:
- Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)
- Ocean Wise
- Clean Fish-Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP)
- Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP)
Local SourcingLa Mer highlights products from Quebec and Canada. Local sourcing is an important aspect of the responsible procurement of our fish and seafood. We prioritize suppliers from Quebec as much as possible, because our province has a huge wealth of fish and seafood to discover. Some available at La Mer include:
- Sea urchins from Gaspé
- I.D.M Lobster
- Rainbow trout
- Snow crab
- Matane shrimp
- Seaweed from Gaspé
Do you know a Quebec product that you would like to see at La Mer? Let us know!
The Maritime Provinces, the Great Lakes and the West Coast of Canada are also rich in fish, shellfish and other premium seafood. One of our favorite suppliers is Organic Ocean, a cooperative of fishermen in British Columbia that provides us excellent wild fish caught responsibly. North America has the best products the sea has to offer. We always rely on our local fishermen and fish farmers before picking a product elsewhere.